Sunday Streets is happy to introduce our dynamic duo: Ben Lin and Paul Bodner. Read their short piece below to learn more about Ben and Paul. They are our rockstar volunteers and have been with Sunday Streets for over 5 years. Read about them below:
How long have you two been volunteering together? Why do you volunteer at Sunday Streets and what keeps you continually volunteering with them?
- Paul has been volunteering since 2010. The Teamwork keeps me coming back to Sunday Streets.
- Ben has been volunteering with Sunday Streets since 2009. Sunday Streets is a special opportunity for him to volunteer, because it is the city’s famous event that occurs each month. Ben volunteered at Sunday Streets because he enjoyed the outdoor activities and the wonderful staff keeps the event growing each year.
How did you first hear about Sunday Streets?
- Paul first heard about Sunday Streets from Ben
- Ben first heard about Sunday Streets for San Francisco’s past Mayor Gavin Newsom. It was an event started by Newsom in August 2008 and continued its development for years. The event debuted two times in 2008 and Ben thought it would be an good experience to try it out before he started volunteering. During that time, he tried the event from walking from Portsmouth Square in Chinatown and ended at San Francisco Bayview District near Opera House.
What is your most favorite thing about Sunday Streets?
- Paul’s favorite thing is seeing it happen. “Usually kids have to be hidden from the big bad “dangerous” city, and can only be seen in parks and schools. Sunday Streets gives youth a safe place to come out and play.”
- Ben’s favorite thing about Sunday Streets is a bit of everything. “From the organization’s booth and taking pictures of amazing biking and publicity of the events.”
Tell us a fun fact about yourself
- Paul lived in Japan for three years teaching English, and three more in Taiwan
- Ben has been volunteering for public events since 2005 (he was 13 years-old)
What is your favorite hobby to do outside of volunteering?
- Paul’s favorite hobby is distance walking. He walked 345 miles in December 2013
- Ben’s favorite hobby outside of volunteering is continuing to plan for volunteer activities with Sunday Streets and events for the future to come
Any advice or last comments you’d like to share about volunteerism
- Ben’s advice about volunteering: volunteering is an good thing, and you feel good about it. It is a healthy option for myself considering anyone can do it. Whether you are first timer or had worked with the events numerous times.
Feel free to say hi to Ben and Paul the next time you see them at a Sunday Streets Volunteer Opportunity. Thank you for supporting Sunday Streets!