About Sunday Streets in the Western Addition
The Western Addition Sunday Streets gives you the unique opportunity to explore Fillmore and Fulton Streets by foot, or bike. Moving at a bit of a slower place, you will find all kinds of hidden gems along this route. From local art, great views of the gorgeous City Hall, the famous painted ladies, to a variety of delicious restaurants, you are sure to have a great experience along this route. Sunday Streets is a pet friendly event.
Activities and more
Sunday Streets will be sharing the day with the Alamo Square Flea Market, which you don’t want to miss, AND Supervisor London Breed will be on site with a listening booth! There are tons of fun activities planned, so mark your calendar now! Click here for a full list of activities.
How to participate
Each Sunday Streets is made possible with the support and dedication of dozens of volunteers. From event prep and neighborhood outreach to staffing the event, there’s something for everyone. Here are a few ways you can help out:
- Neighborhood outreach: Tuesdays and Wednesdays 10am-12pm and 1-3pm, August 5 – Sept 16
- Volunteer orientation: Weekday evenings at the Livable City Office. View dates/times and RSVP for an orientation here.
- Sign prep: Friday September 5, 12:30-3:30pm
- Sign posting: Wednesday, September 10, 11am-1:30pm and 2-4:30pm
- Event: Sunday, September 14!
Host an Activity
All activities that take place at Sunday Streets are offered at no cost to participants, and are led by community organizations, local merchant or neighborhood groups, individuals and Sunday Streets partners who graciously donate their time to make each event so special. The deadline to host an activity at the Western Addition Sunday Streets is August 29, 2014. For more information about hosting an activity, email Beth@livablecity.org, or sign up here.
We strongly encourage biking, walking, or taking public transportation to get to Sunday Streets when possible.
MUNI: For trip planning and other Muni-related info, go to www.sfmta.com. Bikes are allowed on front racks of buses. The Western Addition Sunday Streets route is served by the following MUNI lines:
- 5 at Fillmore and McAllister
- 21 at Central Ave and Hayes St
- 24 at Fulton St and Divisadero St
- 31 at Webster St and Eddy St
- 38 at Fillmore St and Geary Blvd
The following MUNI line will be re-routed from the normal route during Sunday Streets:
- 22 re-routed from Fillmore St to Webster St between Sutter and Hayes
BART: Combining BART with a bike ride or MUNI ride can be a great way to get to Sunday Streets from the East or South Bay. Bikes are allowed on BART trains at all times. For trip planning, go to www.bart.gov. For more information about bikes on BART, go to www.bart.gov/guide/bikes.
- Bart & Bike: Take BART to Civic Center Station, then bike McAllister to Fillmore St
BIKE: Get in the spirit for Sunday Streets by biking there! Go to: www.sfbike.org to download a bike map to help find a flat, bike-friendly route from your area or the nearest transit stop to Sunday Streets. Got a long way to go? Shorten the trip by taking transit part of the way. Muni buses have bike racks for 2 bikes, BART and Caltrain both allow bikes on board.
By Car: Should you chose to drive, be aware that the Sunday Streets route is towed of all vehicles beginning at 7am (even if you’re just stopping for a moment for a cup of coffee) and no vehicles are allowed on the route after 10:30am. More information about parking near Fillmore St is available at http://www.thefillmoredistrict.com/parkinghere1.html. Check out SFPark.org and parkme.com to identify available parking lots and spaces nearby. Additionally, parking may be available at these locations near the route:
- The Fillmore Center Garage, 1475 Fillmore St (via entrance on Eddy between Fillmore and Steiner Streets)
- Fillmore Street Annex Garage, 1650 Fillmore St (between Geary Blvd and Post St)
- Fillmore Heritage Center Garage, 1310 Fillmore St (via entrance on Eddy between Fillmore and Webster Streets)
- Pacific Park Garage, 1300 Fillmore St
- Japan Center Garage, 1610 Geary Blvd
- Public Parking lot at 1480 Eddy St
- DMV Parking lot, 1377 Fell St, open 24 hours
Detour and Parking Changes
The Sunday Streets route includes:
- Central Ave between Hayes and Grove
- Grove St between Central Ave and Baker St
- Baker St between Grove and McAllister
- Fulton St between Baker and Fillmore
- Fillmore St between Fulton and Geary
No parking or stopping will be allowed on these streets after 7am (even if you’re just stopping for a quick cup of coffee, your car may be towed), and no vehicles will be allowed to drive onto the streets between 10:30am and 4pm.
Alternate Parking: As an alternative to on-street parking on these days, two nearby parking garages will offer $7 flat rate parking for any vehicles that enter before 12 p.m. The flat rate will be good through 6pm, after which hourly rates will apply.
- Japan Center Main Garage 1610 Geary Boulevard, open 7am-3am
- Fillmore Street Annex Garage 1650 Fillmore Street, open 6:30am-1:30am
- Vehicle traffic will be allowed to cross the Sunday Streets route on Divisadero, McAllister, and Eddy Streets.
- North and southbound traffic should use Masonic, Divisadero or Webster Streets instead of Fillmore St.
- East and westbound traffic should use Fell, Hayes, McAllister, Eddy Streets or Geary Blvd instead of Fulton St.
If you need to coordinate local access to/from your home or place of business on these streets during Sunday Streets, please contact us as early as possible (call 415-344-0489 x 2 or email Liza@livablecity.org).