Sunday Streets SoMa
August 18th, 2019 | 11:00am – 4:00pm
Sunday Streets is excited to return to its newest route in SoMa this August, spanning Folsom Street from Essex to 10th Street to and creating 1.3 miles of temporary open space for the community to enjoy.
Home to the Leather & LGBTQ and SOMA Pilipinas Cultural Districts, as well as the East Cut, SoMa West (coming soon) and Yerba Buena Community Benefit Districts, South of Market borders Potrero Hill and the Mission and contains many smaller neighborhoods, including South Park, South Beach and Financial District South. Pick up an Explore Local Guide and Common Cents Passport at Sunday Streets info booths for local businesses and resources.
After the 1906 earthquake destroyed the area, SoMa was rebuilt with wider streets (many of which, like Folsom, are one-way) to accommodate industrial development. Today, SoMa is still home to factories and light industry, as well as SROs, tech offices, arts incubators, nightclubs and new housing developments. This mixed-use neighborhood blends residential, commercial, cultural, institutional and entertainment uses and is known for its live-work spaces, design and art production.
Dance the night away at DNA Lounge, visit the collection at the Prelinger Library, tour world-class museums and arts centers like MoMa, The Contemporary Jewish Museum, The Museum of the African Diaspora and Yerba Buena Center for the Arts. Enjoy a meal at SoMa Streat Food Park. Support community organizations like United Playaz and the Pilipino Senior Resource Center. And don’t forget to explore the area’s tucked-away alleys, expansive murals, small businesses and turn-of-the-century industrial architecture.
On Sunday, get to know SoMa! Visit Activity Hubs at:
Essex and 2nd Streets – Hosted by the East Cut CBD
- 11am: Open Space Tours
- 1pm: Dog Fashion Show
- Music from the SF Rock Project
- Fun with SF Circus Center
- Petsville with Adoptions from Finding a Best Friend Rescue
4th Street – Hosted by Yerba Buena CBD
- Art with 111 Minna Gallery
- Live music with the Gay and Lesbian Freedom Band
- Ping Pong with Spin
- Free Bike and Scooter Rentals
- Reptile Petting Zoo with Tree Frog Treks
6th Street – Hosted by Undiscovered SF Creative Night Market
- Undiscovered SF takes over the SOMA Pilipinas Hub
- Enjoy live music, art, vendors and third-wave Filipino food!
- DCYF’s We Are the City pops up with free activities for the whole family + a Giant Lego Build
9th and 10th Streets – Hosted by the Leather & LGBTQ Cultural District
- Enjoy resources, history and neighborhood info
- Rock out with DJ Fingersnaps