About Sunday Streets in the Mission
The 2014 Sunday Streets Season Finale event will be held in the popular Mission district! The second Mission Sunday Streets will take place on Valencia St from 26th St to McCoppin Hub Plaza. Sunday Streets is a pet friendly event.
Activities and more
The Mission Sunday Streets takes place October 19th, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Valencia Street will be open for cyclists, pedestrians and pets to celebrate miles of healthy, fun, car-free space. We will be sharing the day with the Buena Vista Horace Mann: Kermes Fall Festival, which you don’t want to miss. Be sure to check out their courtyard for face painting, crafts, games, food, and fun activities from the Exploratorium! There are tons of free activities planned for kids and people of all ages along the route. Why not play Mission BINGO, and be entered to win a Sunday Streets t-shirt!
The Mission event closes out the last 2014 Sunday Streets of the season, so you definitely don’t want to miss out! Check out the complete activity list by clicking here!
How to participate
Each Sunday Streets is made possible with the support and dedication of dozens of volunteers. From event prep and neighborhood outreach to staffing the event, there’s something for everyone. Here are a few ways you can lend a hand:
- Neighborhood outreach: Tuesdays and Wednesdays 10am-12pm and 1-3pm between Sept 9 – Oct 21
- Volunteer orientation: Weekday evenings at the Livable City Office. View dates/times and RSVP for an orientation here.
- Sign prep: Wednesday, October 8, 6-8pm
- Sign posting: Wednesday, October 15, 2-4:30pm
- Event: Sunday, October 19!
Host an activity
All activities that take place at Sunday Streets are offered at no cost to participants, and are led by community organizations, local merchant or neighborhood groups, individuals and Sunday Streets partners who graciously donate their time to make each event so special. The deadline to host an activity at the second Mission Sunday Streets is October 3, 2014. For more information about hosting an activity, click here, or email Beth@livablecity.org.
The Mission is one of the most transit rich neighborhoods in San Francisco. We strongly encourage biking, walking, or taking public transportation to get to Sunday Streets when possible.
MUNI: For trip planning and other Muni-related info, go to www.sfmta.com. Bikes are allowed on front racks of buses. The Mission Sunday Streets route is served by the following MUNI lines:
- K, L, M, T and F lines on Market St, just 1/2 a block north of the route
- J line on Church St stops at 18th St, just 2 blocks west of the route.
- the 22, 33, and 48 provide access to Valencia St
BART: Take BART to the 16th St or 24th St BART Stations. Both are just 1 short block from the Sunday Streets route on Valencia St. Bikes are allowed on BART trains at all times. For trip planning, go to www.bart.gov. For more information about bikes on BART, go to www.bart.gov/guide/bikes.
BIKE: Get in the spirit for Sunday Streets by biking there! Go to: www.sfbike.org to download a bike map to help find a flat, bike-friendly route from your area or the nearest transit stop to Sunday Streets. Got a long way to go? Shorten the trip by taking transit part of the way. Muni buses have bike racks for 2 bikes, BART and Caltrain both allow bikes on board.
By Car: Should you chose to drive, be aware that the Sunday Streets route is towed of all vehicles beginning at 7am and no stopping or parking is allowed on the streets after that (even if you’re just stopping for a moment for a cup of coffee), and no vehicles are allowed to drive onto the route after 10:30am.
- Mission Bartlett Garage at 3255 21st St
- Hoff Street Garage at 42 Hoff St between 16th and 17th Streets
Detour and Parking Changes
The Mission Sunday Streets route on October 19 includes:
- Valencia St between 26th St and McCoppin St
No parking or stopping will be allowed on these streets after 7am (even if you’re just stopping for a quick cup of coffee, your car may be towed), and no vehicles will be allowed to drive onto the streets between 10:30am and 4pm.
- Vehicle traffic will be allowed to cross Valencia St on Duboce Ave, 16th St, and 24th St.
- East/westbound traffic should use 16th, 18th, or 24th Streets
- North/southbound traffic should use Guerrero St, Mission St, or Folsom St instead of Valencia St
If you need to coordinate local access to/from your home or place of business during Sunday Streets, please contact us as early as possible (call 415-344-0489 x 2 or email Liza@livablecity.org).