Merchants directly on the route:
- Display merchandise on a small table to draw people in.*
- Make a colorful sign or other eye-catching display in front of store with promotions and message to participants to visit your shop.
- Hand out coupons to passers by with special Sunday Streets deals.
- Work with Sunday Streets staff to enliven the front of your store with activities, music, performances (amplified sound is not always possible due to noise concerns).**
- Coordinate with merchant association to create materials with local business maps/directory to distribute and make into posters to put up on the route.
- Post signs or posters to direct Sunday Streets participants to your business – Feature discounts or coupons.
- Sunday Streets bingo cards or other game involving visiting businesses nearby or on the route featuring local shops, cafes and community features.
- Offer free delivery for larger items purchased on Sunday Streets days.
San Francisco Permit Regulations
- Businesses located on Sunday Streets routes may use the parking lane in front of store for displays, sidewalk and travel lanes may not obstructed.
- All displays must be easily moved out of the way in case of emergency.
- Vehicles are reintroduced to the streets at 4 p.m., all displays must be broken down and moved inside at 3:30.
- All sales must occur inside.
Department of Public Health (DPH) Food Permit (City Regulations for merchants on routes with current DPH permits who wish to sell food during Sunday Streets)
NO PERMIT NEEDED:
- Food Display application must be completed in advance;
- Food vendors may display samples food items outside business to show what is available inside with visible sign on these items “For Display Only”;
- All cooking and food preparation must take place inside food service establishments;
DPH OUTSIDE FOOD FACILITY PERMIT REQUIRED:
- Merchants serving any type of food outside their businesses must apply for DPH permit and be listed on Sunday Streets DPH Event Permit;
- DPH Temp Food Permit fee is $186, valid during Sunday Streets events for one year;
- Heating elements (fire or fuel powered) outside businesses are subject to additional SF Fire Dept permits to ensure public safety.
Download permit here, complete and send to Alicia.Saam@sfdph.org
For information on merchant vending, email Sundaystreets@gmail.com.
* Displays must not obstruct sidewalk or be in the travel lanes of street; no equipment such as pop up tents may be used unless required for food safety- see sidebar for Dept of Public health regulations
** Any activity involving amplified music must be approved in advance and included on Sunday Streets sound permit, please contact Beth@livablecity.org for more details
Photo of San Bruno Mountain Watch Booth